October 22, 2021

Stamp Pets

Snap Into A Slim Pets

Vet warns about the dangers of wasp stings for dogs, after puppy is attacked

Though for a human, a wasp sting is simply painful (unless you’re allergic), for a dog, an encounter with the insect could be fatal. The warning comes from a vet after they had to treat a seven-month-old puppy who had suddenly collapsed after being stung by a wasp in the owner’s garden.

Molly, a chocolate labrador, had to be rushed to Gilmoor Vets in Gilesgate after she almost died of anaphylactic shock. She had been stung multiple times in the mouth by wasps and a wasp was found inside her mouth, Chronicle Live reports.

Molly had to be put on oxygen and have steroid and adrenaline injections to bring her back round, before suffering with hives all over her body and an allergic reaction on her ears.

Fortunately, the young lab was able to return home later the same day and, although unwell for a couple of days, has made a full recovery.

Justin Paget

However, Molly’s experience prompted her vet, Adele Harrison, to issue a stark warning to other dog owners. She is urging people to seek immediate veterinary attention if their pet is stung by a wasp, which are more prevalent towards the end of summer and in early autumn.

Dr Harrison told the newspaper: “Stings are very common but dogs going into anaphylactic shock is fortunately quite rare but you never know how your pet will react. Most dogs will snap at buzzy insects so there is always the danger they will be stung.

“If your dogs is stung by a wasp, contact your vet, and the same with a bee sting. A single sting would usually produce swelling, pain and hives and most of the time can be treated with just steroid and antihistamine.”

The problem is, unless you witness it, it can be difficult to tell if your dog has been stung. So, to help, the Blue Cross have outlined a list of ways to tell if your dog has encountered a wasp, or another stinging insect, so you can act as fast as possible:

  • Whining
  • Holding up a paw (if stung on the paw)
  • Biting or nibbling where the sting went in
  • Drooling
  • Pawing at the face or mouth
  • Swelling
  • Hives (red, swollen, itchy skin)

    This content is created and maintained by a third party, and imported onto this page to help users provide their email addresses. You may be able to find more information about this and similar content at piano.io